Swinney on FSU game: ‘As tough a loss as I have ever been a part of’

Clemson+head+coach+Dabo+Swinney+talks+to+a+referee+during+a+dispute+over+a+call+made+in+the+second+half+against+Florida+State.+
Ashleigh Snyder
Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney talks to a referee during a dispute over a call made in the second half against Florida State.

Following the Tigers’ 31-24 loss to the Florida State Seminoles, Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney addressed the media with a disappointed face.

“That, honestly, is probably as tough a loss as I have ever been a part of,” Swinney said. “Win one like that, it’s top of the world. Lose one like that, you’re sick to your stomach.”

Swinney was honest in his criticism of the team’s turnovers throughout the season and spoke on the miscommunications that have led to these critical changes in possession.

“Honestly, we are 2-2 right now because we have given up 36 points on turnovers,” he said. “It’s not just having a turnover, it’s a scoop and score, it’s a pick six.”

Swinney added that Cade Klubnik should’ve handed the ball off instead of throwing a bubble screen on the 3rd-and-1 play in overtime. The pass resulted in a one-yard loss and forced a fourth down, which the Tigers failed to convert.

Nonetheless, Swinney remains loyal to his signal caller, calling Saturday Klubnik’s best game, as the sophomore signal-caller completed 25 of 38 pass attempts for 283 yards, one touchdown and zero interceptions.

He additionally confirmed that Jonathan Weitz will remain the starting kicker for the Tigers going forward. Weitz rejoined the team less than a week earlier and ended his first game back in Death Valley going one for two on field goal attempts and two for two on extra points.

Swinney also confirmed that senior right guard Walker Parks is out for the season with a lower-body injury that is below the ankle area. Parks had surgery on his ankle in the offseason; However, the injury is different from the one Parks had previously sustained, Swinney said.

True to his coaching philosophy, Swinney finished with high praise for his players’ competitive spirit and drive after the game.

“If you can’t see the heart of this team, then you’re just blind.”