Swinney updates injury report, several starters out vs. NC State

Ashleigh Snyder
Senior safety R.J. Mickens will miss time recovering from his appendix removal.

Heading into this weekend’s matchup against NC State, the Tigers are 10-point favorites thanks to their stellar defense and the Wolfpack’s struggling offense. That said, the Tigers are dealing with several injuries.

On Tuesday, head coach Dabo Swinney shared details on who will be out for the game.

In addition to those already ruled out for the season — Cole Turner, Vic Burley and Walker Parks — Swinney updated the starting lineup.

Graduate defensive end Justin Mascoll is day-to-day with an injury that Swinney declined to specify.

Mascoll has posted 16 total tackles and one pass deflection over his seven games started this season. If Mascoll is not able to suit up on Saturday, redshirt sophomore Cade Denhoff could be in line to receive more playing time alongside T.J. Parker and Xavier Thomas.

The Tigers’ defense faces a further loss in the form of safety R.J. Mickens, who Swinney confirmed is out this week with appendicitis. Mickens had his appendix removed earlier this week, so the timeline of his recovery from surgery is uncertain. Mickens will likely be replaced by Sherrod Covil Jr., who has registered 10 total tackles this season.

On offense, Clemson will once more be without wide receiver Antonio Williams, who is dealing with a toe injury.

“He’s going to be out for a while, unfortunately,” Swinney said.

Williams has recorded 192 yards and two touchdowns in four games this season. As far as the depth behind Williams, true freshman Tyler Brown has already started in place of Williams this year when he went down with an ankle injury. Sophomores Troy Stellato and Adam Randall and junior Beaux Collins could also see expanded roles in Williams’ absence.

“But it’s not his ankle, so that’s a positive. It’s more kind of underneath his toe area, so he’s probably going to be a few weeks,” Swinney said. “Hopefully, we’ll get him back maybe at the end of the season, the last couple games. I don’t know. We’ll just have to see how he responds.”

Additionally, freshman running back Jay Haynes’ status remains uncertain after missing the last four games with an ankle injury. It has not yet been announced if he will take the field at Carter-Finley Stadium on Saturday.