Clemson honors Military Appreciation Week

Ashleigh Snyder // Photo Editor
The flags on Bowman Field represent Military Appreciation Week.

Clemson’s commitment to honoring the heritage and courage of service men and women was showcased during Military Appreciation Week, held during the week of Nov. 6-11.

With a history in military service, this year’s 2023 appreciation week calendar shares gatherings for veterans and active-duty members alongside other events open to the general public.

Flag planting at the Scroll of Honor Memorial and around Bowman Field helped facilitate awareness of this week’s main turnouts. Kicking off this week’s events, Clemson University Military & Veteran Engagement led a green zone training on Monday with the mission of educating and equipping students, faculty and staff with the knowledge and resources necessary to support all veterans.

“Dismantling stereotypes about veterans and creating a military-friendly campus is the point,” Emily Dabruzzi, the director of Military & Veteran Engagement, said.

In active military terminology, the term green zone refers to a “safe place,” which is precisely what Dabruzzi and other members of her staff look to accomplish through their adherence to diversity, equity and inclusion.

Classic traditions, from football tailgating to indoor brunches, are some of the many events tailored to unite former veterans and honor their service, alongside encouraging students to foster a military-friendly campus.

On Tuesday, veterans and active duty members were invited to the Presidential Kick-Off, followed by a brunch located at the Hendrix Student Center Ballroom. Throughout the week, “Pershing of the Rifle” events were also held, symbolizing the leadership, integrity and strength that military members exhibit throughout their line of service in both active and inactive duty.

Leading up to the finale of this week’s events, students and service members were invited to a Semper Fi Barn Cookout held at the Semper Fi Barn in Pickens, which is set to take place from 6-8 p.m. on Friday.

Students and military service members alike gathered for this week’s events, bringing reverence to members of the U.S. military. Humanitarian efforts from the U.S. military were also described throughout the week.

Clemson University also received national recognition in 2023 for its “Best for Vets” campus, according to Clemson News.