Swinney: Mafah will have ‘chance to stay hot’

Ashleigh Snyder
Mafah is ready for an opportunity to stay hot this weekend against Georgia Tech following his stellar performance against Notre Dame.

After a career day in Clemson’s game against Notre Dame last week, running back Phil Mafah will have his shot to continue his momentum this weekend.

In the absence of Will Shipley last Saturday, Mafah had the bulk of the carries against the Irish, as Shipley was in concussion protocol and missed the game. Starting in the backfield, Mafah had his most productive game as a Tiger, rushing for a career-high 186 yards and two touchdowns on 36 carries.

While Shipley has been back on the practice field this week and is set to make a return on Saturday, Mafah will receive his fair share of opportunities, head coach Dabo Swinney said on Tuesday.

“Anytime you have multiple good players, somebody gets a hot hand. That’s kind of how it always is, and obviously, Phil got hot last week, and we’re gonna make sure he has a chance to stay hot,” Swinney said. “But don’t get amnesia now. Everybody gets amnesia quick around here. We’ve won a lot of games because of Will Shipley, and he’ll remind you quick. He’ll make you remember, ‘Oh yeah, that’s why we like Will Shipley.’

“So, we’re excited to hopefully get (Shipley) back. But you know, Phil definitely, with what he did, earned an opportunity to go see if he can stay hot, and we’ll see what happens. But both those guys are major weapons and have been. Both have had big plays, and you’ll be reminded quickly of why you like Shipley, too.”

Mafah’s 186 yards on the ground against the Irish were the most rushing yards by a single Clemson player all season, and the most since former tailback Kobe Pace ran for 191 against Wake Forest in 2021.