Clemson United tops UNC in PK shootout to win ACC Championship

William Stehn
The Clemson men’s soccer team poses with the ACC Championship trophy after defeating North Carolina in penalty kicks in Cary, North Carolina, on Nov. 12, 2023.

The No. 4-seeded Clemson Tigers won the ACC Championship game against the No. 7-seeded North Carolina Tar Heels in penalty kicks by a score of 1-1 in regulation and 5-3 in penalties in Cary, North Carolina, on Sunday.

After a slow first half by both teams, the Tar Heels gained the upper hand on the Tigers, scoring the first goal of the game in the 49th minute. However, Clemson senior midfielder Ousmane Sylla responded in the 83rd minute with a goal. These two goals were the only goals scored in regulation, and the Tigers entered their second overtime of the 2023 ACC Tournament.

Although both teams had numerous scoring opportunities in overtime, neither team was able to convert, and the game went into penalty kicks. In penalty kicks Clemson converted on all five of its attempts, while North Carolina converted on three of its four attempts, sealing the victory and the ACC Championship trophy for the Tigers.

Sylla has been one of Clemson’s most explosive players in the 2023 season, leading the Tigers in goals with 10 on the season, as well as leading Clemson in assists with nine. Sylla was the only player for Clemson to score in regulation with his game-tying goal. He also made his penalty attempt during the penalty shootout.

“The goals and the assists are secondary to what he means for the team,” head coach Mike Noonan said of Sylla. “It’s his smile, it’s his passion, it’s his love for his teammates. That, and the selflessness, that’s the word again, the selflessness that he displays every day at practice and when he comes to work every day.”

The win for the Tigers marks the second ACC Championship for Clemson since the 2020 season and the fifth overall. Sunday’s victory also marks the third time Noonan has won the ACC Championship at Clemson, with his other wins coming in 2014 and 2020. Although they didn’t win the ACC, Noonan and the Tigers won the National Championship in 2021.

After Sunday’s game, Noonan spoke about how thankful he was for the support of the fans who traveled to Cary to see the team play.

“There is no better place in the country to play soccer, at the college level than Clemson, and that’s because of the fans and because of the support that we get, internally through our administration and externally from our fans. It’s second to none,” he said.

When speaking about the NCAA Tournament, Noonan spoke about his expectation to see multiple teams from the ACC in the tournament and gave high praise to the conference and its teams.

“I think there are nine (teams) for sure that should be in the NCAA Tournament,” he said. “The ACC has put seven to 10 teams, I don’t know for how many years, and any of those teams can win the whole thing.”

Clemson will find out its seed for the NCAA Tournament on Monday, with the first round beginning on Thursday.