Clemson headed to Sweet 16 with win over Columbia

Clemson forward Jenna Tobia dribbles the ball against Columbia in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Historic Riggs Field on Nov. 17, 2023.

The Clemson women’s soccer team (16-3-3) advanced to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament following its 2-1 win over the Columbia Lions (11-4-3) on Friday night at Historic Riggs Field.

The scoring for the Tigers started in the 28th minute, as senior midfielder Megan Bornkamp drilled a shot into the center of the goal following a setup pass from junior forward Renee Lyles to put Clemson up first.

Just four minutes later, Lyles added to the lead with a shot of her own, placing the ball into the lower left corner of the net to put Clemson up 2-0.

As the match shifted into the second half, Columbia looked to mount a comeback after scoring in the 61st minute. However, the Tigers’ defense held strong to close out the game and take home the victory.

Goalkeeper Halle Mackiewicz was back in action after being sidelined in the last game, and the Clemson defense aided her in her return, allowing only four shots all game. This defense came as the Tigers’ offense tallied up 12 shots in total, six of which were on goal.

Clemson will continue its playoff run on Sunday at 2 p.m., as the team will face the Georgia Bulldogs at Historic Riggs Field in the Sweet 16.