Tigers in the NFL: Weeks 11 and 12

Matt Mynes
Former Clemson defensive end K.J. Henry watches from the sideline during the Tigers’ second day of spring practice on March 7, 2023.

As we make our way into the back end of the NFL season, multiple former Clemson Tigers made the news in Weeks 11 and 12, even one you may not have heard from since his time at Clemson. Here are some updates on a few Clemson football alumni who have been making headlines in recent weeks:

Trevor Lawrence, Quarterback | Jacksonville Jaguars

In Week 11, Trevor Lawrence and the Jacksonville Jaguars bounced back after a tough 34-3 loss to the 49ers in their previous game. The third-year quarterback dominated the Tennessee Titans and arguably had his best game of the season, completing 24 of 32 pass attempts for 262 yards. His performance on the ground was equally impressive, as he carried the ball five times for 17 yards and two touchdowns.

In Week 12, divisional rival C.J. Stroud and the Houston Texans put up a tough fight, which ultimately saw the Jaguars pull away in a close 24-21 victory. Lawrence continued to shine, completing 23 of his 38 passes for a season-high 364 yards. He ran the ball twice, one of which resulted in a 1-yard touchdown.

The Jaguars now sit atop the AFC South with an 8-3 record and will next host the Cincinnati Bengals (5-6) for Monday Night Football on Dec. 4.

Isaiah Simmons, Safety | New York Giants

Making it on the list for the first time this season is former Clemson defender Isaiah Simmons. After being traded from the Arizona Cardinals prior to the season, it’s taken a bit of time for Simmons to get used to the new defensive play calling, but nevertheless, he has played a very impactful role on this Giants’ defense as of late.

In a divisional game against the Washington Commanders, Simmons put the league on notice as he recorded four tackles, a pass deflection, and a 54-yard game-sealing pick six. Sam Howell and the Commanders’ offense were charging down the field on their last drive in an effort for a game-winning touchdown, but with 28 seconds left on the clock, Simmons was able to make a play on the ball and seal it for the New York Giants, who won 31-19.

The following week, Simmons recorded three tackles, two solo and one assisted. Although it was a slow-moving game, the Giants were ultimately able to win their second consecutive game 10-7 against the New England Patriots.

Simmons and the Giants will get a break from competition as they enter their bye week.

Christian Wilkins, Defensive Tackle | Miami Dolphins

Christian Wilkins has been able to make this list frequently throughout this season, as he and the Dolphins have seen plenty of success. The former first-round pick has racked up 24 tackles and 6.5 sacks this season to help Miami reach the top of the AFC East.

In Week 11, Wilkins was able to record two solo tackles and one stuff as the Dolphins went on to beat the Las Vegas Raiders, 20-13.

The following week, Wilkins had one of his most dominant showings of the season. He recorded three solo tackles and tied his season-high two sacks, helping the Dolphins’ dominant defensive line contain the New York Jets to just 13 points. The 34-13 victory marked Wilkins’ second multiple-sack game.

Wilkins and the Miami Dolphins will look to defeat the Washington Commanders (4-8) in Week 13 when they travel to FedEx Field on Sunday, Dec. 3.

K.J. Henry, Defensive End | Washington Commanders

K.J. Henry was selected 137th overall by the Washington Commanders thanks to his leadership qualities and dominance on the field, both of which he showcased in Week 11 against the New York Giants.

In the breakout game of his rookie season, Henry recorded four total tackles, 1.5 sacks, one stuff and two pass deflections. Henry was all over the stat sheet, making plays as both a pass and run-stopper.

Henry and the team had only four days of preparation in between their Week 11 and 12 games as they played the Cowboys on Thursday Night Football. He recorded one tackle in a 45-10 loss to the Dallas Cowboys, and next looks to host and upset the Miami Dolphins (8-3) on Sunday, Dec. 3 at FedEx Field.