The revival of the rom-com: ‘Anyone But You’

Sony Pictures Entertainment // Courtesy
“Anyone But You” released on Dec. 25, 2023, and has been a great success since.

It has been quite some time since a true romantic comedy has been released in theaters, but Will Gluck’s “Anyone But You” has taken the media by storm since its release on Christmas Day.

Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell star as two people who loathe one another but decide to start a fake relationship, a common trope in romance films. The film begins with a classic meet-cute at a coffee shop, native to the genre.

As for the comedy part of the film, modern societal trends are very evident, such as the use of “f-boy” terms and Natasha Bedingfield’s song “Unwritten,” a “serenity song” for Ben, Powell’s stereotypical manly protagonist.

The chemistry between Sweeney and Powell is electric, and cinematographer Danny Ruhlmann keeps the audience engaged throughout the entire film by shooting each scene with careful detail, showing the beauty of the film’s location in Sydney, Australia.

The marketing leading up to the film made it impossible to miss, with ads on all major social media platforms and numerous different trailers released. “Anyone But You” has been nothing short of a success, with box office sales of $43.7 million and it starting a TikTok trend claiming that the film is the best rom-com since the iconic 2003 film “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.”

With the film’s success, Gluck may have single-handedly revived the romantic comedy genre and introduced it to a new generation of moviegoers.