Tips for students transferring to Clemson

William Stehn
Attending any of the various free sporting events the campus has to offer is a great way to meet new friends.

They tell you that your college years are some of the most important ones of your life. People talk about growth in college — whether it be academic, personal, career or otherwise — but they don’t talk about how uncomfortable the idea of growth can be when you already don’t feel accepted where you are.

Ergo, you transfer.

There are two types of spring transfer students: either you went to a different school for a semester and decided you didn’t like it, or you were accepted to Clemson with admission starting in the spring semester, so you took classes elsewhere during the fall so you could stay on top of things. For me, it was the latter.

Transferring to a new school — whether it was where you’d always planned to be or not — is scary. You’re surrounded by new people, you’re preparing for new classes and you might even be living in a new state. Here are some tips that might make it less scary:

1. Go to Tiger Prowl

I, presumably just like everyone else you’ll speak to about transferring, cannot stress to you enough how important it is to get involved. I didn’t feel truly accepted at Clemson until I found my people by joining a club, and I can safely say it was the best decision I’ve made (since deciding to come here, of course).

2. Just because it’s not a football game doesn’t mean it won’t be fun

Even if you don’t like sports — or you don’t think you do — sporting events provide ample opportunities to meet new people and show some school pride. Among other things, we’re known for our athletics!

3. Say yes

Your roommate asks you to go to dinner? Say yes. The person you sit next to in class asks you to study? Say yes. The girls on your floor ask if you want to go with them to a fraternity party? Say yes. You never know; it might just be the exact friendship you’re looking for.

4. You’re scared? Do it anyway

If you transferred, the hardest part is already done. Now that you’re here, it’s time to make the most of it! If an opportunity arises, whether it be a job, friendship, relationship or leadership position, don’t let fear hold you back. You’ve already made it this far.

And with that said, welcome to Clemson, Tigers. We’re glad to have you.