Clemson’s College of Veterinary Medicine set to launch in 2026

Clemson News // Courtesy
The state’s first College of Veterinary Medicine will be located on a 87-acre tract of land immediately adjacent to the Clemson Experimental Forest.

Clemson’s board of trustees recently approved a Phase I funding increase for the inaugural College of Veterinary Medicine from $10 million to over $110 million.

This budget change is a reflection of the total funding provided by the South Carolina state budgets in fiscal years 2023 and 2024, according to an article by Clemson News. With this significant increase, the University is now better equipped to begin initial site work, continue working on design and grant early-release packages for long-term infrastructure projects.

Initial site work is projected to start in April and will finish in time to welcome its first class of students in 2026.

Clemson has also hired Nicki Wise as associate dean of academic affairs for the College of Veterinary Medicine.

As associate dean, Wise will oversee recruitment, admissions and proper accreditation for the doctor of veterinary medicine program.

“Nicki will be an important part of our team at this important stage in the development of the state of South Carolina’s first college of veterinary medicine and our college moving forward,” Dean Steven Marks said in an article by Clemson News. “Her energy, experiences and passion for the state of South Carolina’s people and animals are like an accelerator on the engine of great partnerships needed for the college.”

Other members of the College of Veterinary Medicine leadership team have also been announced, according to the college’s website.

Associate Vice President of Marketing and Community Relations Dianne Dunning will lead fundraising, strategic planning and projects related to the college. Additionally, Darbi Roberts has been named chief of operations, Susan McCall is executive assistant to the dean and Brittney McCall is chief business officer.

Two special assistants to the provost, Tim Boosinger and Boyd Parr, currently serve in advisory leadership positions for the College of Veterinary Medicine. Parr, a retired South Carolina veterinarian, is also co-chair of the college’s steering committee.