5 noteworthy performances ahead of ACC Championship

The+womens+4x400-meter+relay+team+finished+in+3%3A37.08+to+clinch+first+place+at+the+invitational.+
Kate Adent
The women’s 4×400-meter relay team finished in 3:37.08 to clinch first place at the invitational.

Ahead of the 2024 ACC Indoor Track and Field Championship commencing in Boston on Thursday, program director Mark Elliott emphasized that “every point matters” in order to compete with the best.

Here are five noteworthy performances that provide Elliott with the necessary confidence in point scoring as the big weekend approaches:

Blaik Slavinski, 1,000-meter: The freshman not only set a Clemson record in the 1,000 last December with an incredible time of 2:20.52, but also posted the fastest time in the world at that point in the year. Slavinski has his sights on showing the ACC what he is capable of this weekend.

Tarees Rhoden, 600-meter: Slavinski’s training partner also made Clemson history in the 600-meter with a 1:16.10. At the Clemson opener, Rhoden took down former professional Kameron Jones’ record. The Junior College Athletic Associate product will attempt to defend his indoor ACC 800-meter title for a third consecutive time in Boston.

Daniel Cope, weight throw: Cope and setting records have gone hand in hand since he made his Clemson debut two years ago. At the Bob Pollock Invitational, he set a new program record in the weight throw with a 22.75-meter heave. Earning third at last year’s ACC championship, Cope will be coming for the top of the podium this time around.

Corentin Serbource, 1600-meter: Serbource burst on the scene at the Bob Pollock Invitational as he moved to No. 5 on Clemson’s all-time list with a 4:03.15. His impressive outing gives the group a big confidence boost heading into the weekend, as the quickest Tiger at last year’s championships placed 31st at 4:11.

Women’s 4x400m relay: The women’s 4×400-meter relay features stars specializing from 200 to 800 meters. The women’s 4×400-meter squad of KK Gadson, Ockera Myrie, Gladys Chepngetich and Lashanna Graham closed the Tiger Paw Invitational with a 3:33.69 — four seconds faster than what they achieved at last year’s conference championships.