CUPD finds ‘no credible threat’ in message to university email

Clemson University Police Department
Clemson University Police Department worked with the State Law Enforcement Division to respond to the threat.

The Clemson University Police Department notified students and staff about a false threat received by a university email account regarding “possible explosives” on March 13.

CUPD promptly began investigating and reached out to the State Law Enforcement Division’s Fusion Center in response to the threat, according to the CU Alert email.

Campus police were informed by SLED that 225 other institutions have received identical or similar emails over several months.

Law enforcement officials determined that there was no “specific or credible threat” based on the current information.

Wednesday morning, police officers and K-9 dogs were reportedly observed by bystanders in the Cooper Library area in possible conjunction with the university-wide warnings released by CUPD.

Officers were also reportedly seen continuing to conduct rounds by Cooper Library throughout Wednesday afternoon.

In a statement issued Wednesday, CUPD officials recommend that students, faculty and anyone on campus report any suspicious activity immediately to law enforcement.

The Tiger has reached out to SLED and CUPD for more information regarding the situation.

This is a developing story. The Tiger will update this article with additional information as it becomes available.