Men’s tennis captain Teodor Giusca grateful for time at Clemson

Darko Nesic, Unsplash
Clemson tennis stock
Clemson senior men’s tennis captain Teodor Giusca has persevered through quite a bit during his time at Clemson, undergoing a move from Romania, a global pandemic, and a coaching change after his freshman season.
With less than a month remaining in his senior season, Giusca felt grateful as he reflected on his experience at Clemson.
“Getting a college education while practicing at a very high level, that was a great opportunity” Giusca said in an interview with The Tiger. “The facilities are amazing, the coaches are amazing […] college in general is a great stepping stone to the next level.”
Giusca has given his life to tennis, picking up a racket for the first time at three years old. Before arriving at Clemson, he spent his youth at athletic preparatory schools in Belgium and Romania. There, he learned English and faced some of the fiercest competition in Europe.
Giusca credits his rapid development as a tennis player to his experiences at those schools. But most of all, Giusca looks to the support from his family as a source of his success.
“My dad is my biggest role model. He helped me with advice about school, and how to behave on the tennis court, and off of it.,” he said. “When I was six years old, he left his business to move to Bucharest for me. When I was 15, he moved again just to take care of me.”
In 2018, Giusca was a highly- touted Romanian tennis recruit. Since then, he has captured national rankings, an All-ACC academic team nod and potentially an ACC Championship.
His 11-3 record is the best on the team, with most of his wins coming from the first court.
The men’s team is 1-7 in conference play, good for tenth in the ACC, with four matches remaining in the regular season.
Despite the Tigers’ conference struggles, it has not swayed Giusca’s confidence.
“We need to stay positive,” Giusca said. “The work we have put in will show, and we’re going to surprise a few people over the next few weeks. We can still make a run there and make the NCAA tournament.”
Clemson men’s tennis faces Wake Forest on Friday, April 8, its third stop along the team’s four-match road trip through North Carolina’s research triangle.