Track and field delivers victories and personal records at Florida relays

Chau Cédric, Unsplash

Clemson track and field will host the Clemson Invite on Jan. 14 and 15.

The Clemson outdoor track and field team competed at the Florida Relays in Gainesville, Florida this weekend, where multiple runners pulled out victories, personal records and all-time marks. 

Junior Roje Stona claimed the number one spot in the men’s discus event, throwing 60.63 meters. Stona placed first at the Texas Relays as well. 

Senior Haleigh White secured first place in her event after leaping 12.59 meters in the women’s triple jump. 

Meanwhile, freshman Daniel Cope once again found himself in Clemson’s record books this weekend, Cope placed sixth on Clemson’s all-time discus list, launching the metal disc 53.83 meters. 

In the women’s 5000-meter, junior Josie Wirtz shaved 40 seconds off her previous personal record (17.28.59) after running it in16:47.10 minutes. Wirtz placed third amongst 17 runners. 

Sophomore Cameron Rose flaunted his speed in the men’s 200-meter. The freshman outran 51 others with a time of 20.55 seconds to place fifth. 

In the men’s 3000-meter steeplechase, junior Michael Smith came in fourth, setting a new PR of 9:01.80 minutes. His time ranks 10th on Clemson’s all-time list. 

In a field of 38, sophomore Jevon Williams set a new personal record in the 400-meter hurdles finishing 11th after completing the race in 51.33 seconds.  

Clemson women’s jumpers also went to work in Florida, with freshman Nia Christie’s 5.68-meter-long jump setting a new personal best. 

The lightning delays led to event postponements, but did not stop junior Devon Brooks from taking second in the 110-meter hurdles. 

The Tigers will look to continue their streak of success Knoxville, Tennessee for the Tennessee relays on Friday, April 8 and Saturday, April 9.