Clemson legal aid program is now in session

attorney
Blue Diamond, Stock
attorney

Clemson Undergraduate Student Government has restarted a legal aid program, offering a free, 30-minute advice session with a local attorney.
The program was first reannounced in November and officially launched two weeks ago. James Swicegood, student body attorney general, spearheaded the effort to bring back the program through CUSG’s Judicial Branch.
“I reestablished the program officially on January 19, 2022,” said Swicegood. “Since then, I have had a handful of students successfully go through the program and all have said it was a very beneficial and positive experience.”
The program is working with several attorneys in the area, many of whom offer virtual sessions. These attorneys work in a diverse range of specialties and expertise, according to Swicegood. Students will be assigned an attorney based on their needs.
“It is my goal for us to be able to serve a broad range of legal needs, whether this be a dispute with an overreaching landlord or criminal charges brought forth unjustly against a student,” said Swicegood.
Common cases the program has seen or anticipates seeing include minor in possession, job contract questions, traffic incidents and drunken driving. They can work on any case which does not directly involve the university.
“I can confidently say the Legal Aid Program will greatly benefit the students here on campus,” said Michael Allen, assistant attorney general of advising. “The service it provides will be invaluable to those struggling with legal issues while also balancing the pressures of college life.”
For many lawyers involved, it’s about wanting to help the students.
“Upon reaching out to various firms to participate in the program, many of the attorneys I talked to were Clemson grads and eagerly jumped on the opportunity to give back to their lifelong Tiger community,” said Swicegood.
CUSG’s Judicial Branch hopes that the program will help students in need as much as possible.
“By the reestablishment of the Legal Aid Program, I feel that students will now have access to legal aid in situations where the student may have not had the financial means to go out and pay for a lawyer previously,” said Swicegood.
For more information on scheduling a legal aid session, reach out to the CUSG Judicial Branch at [email protected].