Clemson men’s track and field places third in ACC Championship

Chau Cédric, Unsplash

Clemson track and field will host the Clemson Invite on Jan. 14 and 15.

Clemson’s indoor men’s track and field placed third in this weekend’s ACC Championship, with two Tigers winning individual conference titles.  

Clemson shot-putter Daniel Cope set a school record in men’s shot put with a 22.28-meter toss, which is also a Jamaican national record. Meanwhile, mid-distance runner Tarees Rhoden won gold in the men’s 800-meter race on Friday with a time of 1:48.62. Both Cope and Rhoden won first in their respective events with those performances.  

To kick start the meet on Thursday, Ethan Binnix had four separate personal records (PR) in the heptathlon. In the 60-meter, he ran it in 7.29 seconds. His long jump was 5.88m, his shot put was 10.39m and his high jump was 1.53m. 

The men’s distance medley relay finished with a season-best, 9:51.67 minutes to end the meet Thursday. 

Clemson men’s 60-meter hurdles were on fire Friday, with three separate qualifiers for finals on Saturday. Devon Brooks recorded 7.71 seconds, Giano Roberts recorded 7.74 seconds and Dashinelle Dyer recorded 7.95 seconds. During finals, Brooks took second place in 7.64 seconds, Roberts came third in 7.69 seconds and Dyer came in seventh with a time of 7.98 seconds, all in the 60-meter hurdles. 

Dashinelle Dyer, who previously made finals in 60 m hurdles, placed first in the men’s 60-meter event with a time of 6.62 seconds on Friday, which is also seventh in Clemson history. The next day, Dyer took fourth place with 6.69 seconds and Cameron Rose took seventh with 6.83 seconds. 

Roje Stona took third place Saturday in the men’s shot put with 19.35 meters, making it a personal best and the second-best time in school history. 

As for Clemson’s women’s track and field team, it finished ninth in total points.  

On Friday, in prelims, Trishauna Hemmings brought excitement with a season PR of 8.17 seconds in the women’s 60-meter hurdles. Saturday, she finished in second only .002 seconds shy from first place.  

Alison D’Alessandro made the best time in Clemson history for women’s pole vaulting on Friday, leaping 4.11 meters. In one season, D’Alessandro went from ninth to eight to third to first in school history for pole vaulting.  

Andrea Froster made a time to compete on Saturday in the women’s 800 m after running 2:05.51 minutes. On Saturday, Foster took third place in 2:05.66 minutes.  

To wrap up the meet, Harleigh White placed second for women’s triple jump with 13.04 meters and Cameron Rose came in third for the men’s 200 meters in 21.06 seconds. 

The ACC Indoor Championship meet ended after Clemson’s women’s 4×400 meter relay took second place after a stunning time of 3:35.38 minutes. Shortly after, the men’s 4×400 meter relay took first place in the 3:09.48 minutes to help push the men’s team to third place overall. 

The Tigers now look to compete in the NCAA Indoor Championships on March 11-12 in Birmingham, Alabama.