Carter ‘can’t wait’ to host Gamecocks for first time in career

Matt Mynes // Photo Editor

Clemson linebacker Barrett Carter will look to lead the Tigers’ defense against South Carolina on Nov. 26, 2022.

Clemson linebacker Barrett Carter has been one of the Tigers’ most productive defensive players this season, and now he’s ready to showcase his talent against the Gamecocks.
Speaking to the media on Monday, Carter expressed his anticipation for the game after traveling to South Carolina’s Williams-Brice Stadium on the road last year.
“I didn’t think it was that intense. After last year, though, it really opened my eyes, like, this is the real deal,” he said.
Set to play the Gamecocks at home for the first time in the sophomore’s career this Saturday at noon, Carter will look to build on his already impressive 2022 campaign.
Playing in 10 of the Tigers’ 11 games this season, the sophomore has 52 total tackles, four sacks, two forced fumbles, two interceptions and five passes defended.
“I can’t wait,” Carter said of Saturday’s game. “This game is always marked on the schedule for all Clemson fans because they know how intense the rivalry is. I don’t think the time of the kickoff matters with the energy there. If it’s a noon kick or if it’s a 7:30 kick, it’s going to be rocking there.”
Making the switch to the weak side linebacker position two weeks ago against Louisville, Carter thrived in his new role, picking up ACC Linebacker of the Week honors with 8.0 total tackles, two sacks and an interception.
Although he said the coaching staff rarely put him at the weak side linebacker during practice, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound linebacker was more than confident in himself.
“I was ready for it,” he said of the switch. “I’ve been playing linebacker my whole life, so it wasn’t a big adjustment.”
Mirroring his game after NFL players like Derwin James and Devin White, Carter takes pride in his ability to play all over the field.
“I’m a guy that you can plug me in anywhere and just tell me to go something, and I’ll do it,” Carter added. “I’ve really worked on that, just trying to be as versatile and dynamic as a player as I can be.”
As a defense, Clemson has recently had a similar level of success, holding Miami to just 10 points and 98 total yards last week. One week prior to the 40-10 win over the Hurricanes, Carter and the Tigers also helped keep Louisville in check and paved the way for a Clemson victory.
“It’s been a lot of fun recently defensively because I think we’ve played our best football these past couple of games,” Carter said. “We just have to keep stacking that and just keep the momentum going.”
The recent success comes on the heels of the Tigers’ blowout loss to Notre Dame on Nov. 5, in which Clemson got pushed around all game and gave up a season-high 263 rushing yards.
With the loss came a fork in the road that Carter wasn’t going to let define the team. 
“We had to respond,” Carter said of the Notre Dame game. “You can either go downhill from that game, or you can respond. We’ve made that our mindset for the rest of the year — just respond.” 
As the Tigers continue preparation for the Gamecocks, Carter is energized for the game but isn’t letting the rivalry factor play into what he and the team need to accomplish.
“We treat it like it’s any other game,” he said. “Obviously, they’re our rival, but it’s the next game. We’re not going to make this game too big.”