Clemson students rally for reproductive rights

Nathan Goller-Deitsch

Students hold signs in support of abortion rights

“What do we want? Abortion rights! When do we want them? Always!”

“Pro-life, your name’s a lie; you don’t care if people die!”

These chants echoed throughout Cox Plaza on Wednesday, Nov. 16, as Clemson student group Planned Parenthood Generation Action held a rally in support of reproductive and abortion rights. 

The event, which drew roughly 50 people, saw student speakers discuss crisis pregnancy centers, the use of “misleading language” in anti-abortion rhetoric and the current state of sexual education in public schools. Funds were also raised for the Carolina Abortion Fund through the sale of contraceptives, buttons and hot chocolate.

The rally comes on the heels of weeks of high tensions as student organization Tigers For Life began promoting their “Make Abortion Illegal Event,” which took place the same day. Tigers for Life was met with significant student backlash, including threats of harassment and violence.

Anna Lipke, vice president of Planned Parenthood Generation Action, disavowed the threats, saying “That is not something we support. We do support all people regardless of their opinion.” 

Organizers said that the rally was not intended as a rebuttal to anti-abortion groups on campus; instead, it was meant to promote science and fact-based educational materials and destigmatize abortion care through education. Lauren Carneal, president of Planned Parenthood Generation Action, said that “it was a coming together of the Clemson community. That’s what it was about.”