This week in Student Senate

Katie Bradham // Photo Editor

Committee head of Infrastructure and Operations, Minhyun Shin, spoke to the senate while giving a committee update and discussing his communication with Parking Director, Dan Hoffman.

During the weekly CUSG meeting on Sept. 12, upcoming updates for committee events were announced, along with the five freshmen interviewed and then later sworn into the CUSG body that evening. 

Senator Keillen Rico gave an update on Suicide Prevention Week, which will take place from Sept. 19 – Sept. 23. The events and dates are listed below, with more information coming soon:

Pick Me Up Snack Tabling – 11AM to 2PM

Tuesday: Tigers Together Advocacy Training – 10:30AM / 6PM 

Wednesday: Banners on Library Bridge – 8AM

Thursday: Candlelight Vigil – 7PM to 8PM

Friday: Day of Encouragement Resource Fair ft. Therapy Dogs – 11AM to 2PM

During the Student Life Committee update, Senator Felder Fogle addressed an upcoming event and collaboration with Makayla Stark, the Assistant Director of the Office of Advocacy and Success, met and discussed a CUSG and OAS off-campus student appreciation event, which will take place next Tuesday, Sept. 20, from 7:30-11 AM at the crosswalk by C1. OAS will be handing out breakfast items, as well informational pamphlets, containing off-campus specific support resources for off-campus students.

From Secretary Amanda Murray, there were updates announced about Capital Improvement. For Capital Improvement, the Senate is given at least $50,000 each year to fund tangible, student-driven projects that impact the Clemson community as a whole. The application will go live on Sept. 15 and close this semester on Dec. 9. Any student can submit a Capital Improvement application on any on-campus projects that they believe will benefit the community.

When discussing New Business, a bill to amend election bylaws was sent back to the finance and procedures committee. The bill was about amending the election bylaws, and a section in the bill proposed that the student body’s campaign can only make the Top 15 once in their time at Clemson, which refers to the cabinet. Next week, it will return for a pro/con debate.