First road trip for the Tigers’ track and field team brings new PRs and records

Markus Spiske, Unsplash

On Jan. 28-29, the Tigers’ track and field team will host the Bob Pollock Meet at the Clemson Indoor Track and Field Complex.  

Clemson’s track and field team hit the road for its first away meet this season at the Hokie Invitational in Blacksburg, Va. The Tigers had a successful meet with many PRs and multiple new all-time top school records. 

Freshman Daniel Cope kicked off the meet for the Tigers on Friday in the men’s weight throw and threw for 20.43 meters. His throw took first place while Andrew White from Wake Forest took second place with a throw of 20.40 meters.  

In prelims, Devon Brooks set a PR in the 60-meter hurdles and had a time of 7.68 seconds which placed him first in the competition. His time was also the third best in Clemson history. 

Brooks was not the only Tiger who had success in the 60-meter hurdles. Giano Roberts finished in second place with a PR of 7.72 seconds and tied for the fifth best all-time spot. Dashinells Dyer’s had a PR of 7.93 seconds. 

In the men’s triple jump, Clemson’s Andre Wright finished second with a jump of 15.60 meters behind Hokies’ Chauncey Chambers. Wright is now seventh on the Tigers’ all-time leaderboard for the triple jump. 

Clemson’s freshman, Courtney Williams, placed fourth in the women’s 300 meter and had a new PR of 38.64 seconds. Clemson’s Ockera Myrie finished fifth with a time of 38.91 seconds. 

Alison D’Alessandro hit her second PR in women’s pole vaulting with a vault of 3.90 meters. She is now tied for number seven in Clemson’s all-time top 10 leaderboard. 

On Saturday, Junior Aman Thornton won the men’s 400m for the Tigers with a speedy time of 47.19 seconds. Tarees Rhoden’s time of 47.61 seconds placed him third.  

Roje Stona finished the meet strong for the Clemson Tigers. For the second weekend in a row, Stona was on fire and set a PR in men’s shot-put. He threw 19.14 meters and won the event.