Clemson track director optimistic about team’s next two meets

Tirza van Dijk, Unsplash

Clemson will host its third meet of the indoor season on Jan. 14 and 15.

With the indoor track and field season kicking into full gear, Clemson will host the Clemson Invitational meet Jan. 14 and 15 for the team’s third meet of the season. After, they will travel to Blacksburg, Va. on Jan 21 and 22 for the Hokie Invitational.  

The Tigers will see their most competitive opponents yet in these meets, facing off against at least 12 other schools, including Florida State, Florida and Texas. Still, there is a level of enthusiasm surrounding the team.

Clemson has more athletes competing in its primary and specific events during these next meets, which will likely create better outcomes and results for the team in large group competitions. 

Track and field director, Mark Elliott, believes the team’s first two meets displayed the Tigers’ strong spread of athletes in different events. Many diversely talented individuals will allow for top-scoring athletes in all areas, which will benefit the team’s scoring in the next two meets.  

“We’re not just relegated to one area,” Elliott said in an interview with The Tiger. “It’s not sprints, it’s not distance only, it’s not throws only, it’s not mid-distance or not jumps only.”  

“Across the board, we have exceptional athletes in those areas and so going into any championship, you want to be representative of as much event areas as you can, and that’s the good thing about our team.” 

Elliott mentioned he is excited to watch the jumpers improve throughout the season. During these next meets, new athletes who have not had the chance to compete will showcase their talents. 

“We’re excited to see how much our jumpers are improving because we are known for very good jump groups, and we were off for a year or two and now we are back.” he said. “We still have people who have not competed that are expecting to get into the fold and compete.” 

New athletes will also have the chance to compete in these next meets for the Tigers. 

“We have about six incoming freshmen and transfers that have not had a chance to compete yet,” Elliott said. “Some of them are very impactful athletes, and we can’t wait to see them get on the track, and those are the ones that we are counting on.” 

The Tigers will put their skills to the test and see where the team stands when facing their first large meets of the season. The Clemson Invitational can be watched on ACCNX on Friday, Jan. 14 starting at 2 p.m., and on Saturday, Jan. 15 starting at 11 a.m.