Tutterrow: Looking towards finals with five tips to help you

As the semester comes to a close, everyone’s favorite time of year is around the corner — finals week. Many students are lost in the mayhem of stressing over finals and never really take a step back to think about the best ways to prepare for what’s ahead.

First things first, go for it. If you haven’t started preparing for finals, start now. These first few steps are simple but knowing the basics will make you feel better. Visit the registrar’s exam schedule, which shows the exam times for each class. Take the time to write these down in a planner and start to prioritize. 

Schedule time for studying and ensure courses with heavier course material have more time designated to review. Don’t dodge it just because it seems more complicated.

Find your study method. Each person’s mind works differently, and so should their study system. If you are a visual learner, flashcards are a great way to review. Auditory learners study better by teaching someone what they have learned or by reading notes out loud. Kinesthetic learners benefit from rewriting notes: use highlighters, markers, pens and colored pencils, and get creative! 

There are many online resources for studying that cater to all types of learners, like Quizlet. Quizlet allows students to play games, use flashcards, listen to terms or even take tests on the information.

Don’t be afraid to lean on others a bit. Clemson University wants you to succeed so many support systems are in place. The Academic Success Center has many resources at your disposal. Tutors, PAL groups and academic coaches are right on campus to help with this very thing: use it. 

Also, do not forget to go straight to the source. Professors’ office hours are a great time to get clarification on concepts missed in class or even to cover general questions on the material. If these seem too intimidating, look for a study buddy. Nine times out of 10, someone else in your class is in the same boat as you, so ask if anyone wants to meet and study together in a more relaxed setting. 

Be prepared. Though it seems like an obvious tip, show up to the exam well-rested. Most students will not heed this warning. College students notoriously get reduced amounts of sleep during finals week due to lots of cramming last minute. Better sleep correlates with better academic performance, better grades and better recall, according to Sleep Foundation. They also claim that to reap the benefits of better sleep, it is essential to sleep well for a week before your final.

And remember mental health matters too. When studying, don’t overload yourself. Take mental breaks, take a walk. Get up and get moving. Studying is important, but it is also important to pace yourself. Make sure to set aside time to have fun and relieve stress. If finals become overwhelming, find someone to talk to. 

Counseling and Psychological Services are always available, even if the office is closed. Anyone can reach an after-hours counselor by calling 864-656-2451 and dialing 2.

Kylie Tutterrow is the Asst. Outlook Editor and an undecided major from Spartanburg, South Carolina.