Volume 116 in review

Marissa Caputo, Contributor

The Tiger’s staff at the second annual fall banquet in the Hendrix Student Center.

As the fall semester comes to a close and the holidays near, another year is almost in the books. At The Tiger, we’re concluding our 115th year as South Carolina’s oldest college newspaper and our 116th volume. This week, I’d like to take the time to acknowledge some highlights of our growth this year.
Our repainted, remodeled office
For our alumni of The Tiger who remember the countless hours they spent between the beige walls of our Hendrix office, you’ll be surprised to hear that we put a fresh coat of paint on the place.
For what felt like the entirety of the spring semester, we cleaned out our office, bought new decorations and painted a mural to make the space as welcoming as possible.
I can’t thank all our staff enough for putting in the time to make this project a reality.
New photo equipment and technology
With a remodeled office comes a need for new equipment and technology! We were grateful for the generosity of the Student Funding Board and IT Student Advisory Board for their funding of our multimedia department.
Not only has the quality of our photography improved, but we have been able to provide students without expensive cameras the chance to build their portfolios.
Trips across the state and the country
Thanks to the support of our advertisers throughout the community, numerous staff members had the opportunity to travel on behalf of The Tiger.
Last winter, our staff visited the Cheez-It Bowl in Orlando, Florida, to cover the game. This summer, we took an 18-hour one-way road trip up to Minneapolis, Minnesota, for a college media workshop, with stops in Chicago and St. Louis. And just this month, we drove up to the Notre Dame for the… eventful game against the Fighting Irish.
A training program for students new to journalism
It’s a frequent reminder as students join The Tiger that Clemson doesn’t have a journalism school and adjusting to the journalistic style of writing can be tough. This semester, we “graduated” our first cohort of the Certified Tiger Reporter training program. Through five sessions and active work on staff, new members learned the ropes of how to be a journalist.
Next semester, I’m excited to expand our program to provide more opportunities for visual journalism and copy editing.
Continued dedication to finding the truth and the Clemson community
All in all, we have spent this year seeking to further our mission as an organization: positively contributing to campus discourse. The way that we do this best is finding the truth and getting it to you, our Clemson community. Without loyal readers far and near, our work now would not carry the meaning it does.
Thank you, and I’m excited to see what 2023 and volume 117 have in store!
David Ferrara is a senior economics and philosophy major from Shelton, Connecticut. You can reach him at [email protected] or on Twitter, @davidferrara23.