8 former Tigers show-out at the NFL combine

Matt Mynes // Photo Editor

Former Clemson defensive end Myles Murphy lines up against Miami on Nov. 19, 2022 at Memorial Stadium.

Of the 319 participants invited to the 2023 NFL Combine, eight are former Clemson Tigers. Here is a summary of the results from the events they participated in at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis and their Next Gen Stats provided by the NFL. 

Myles Murphy, Defensive End  

Measurements: 6-foot-5, 268 pounds 

Bench Press: 25 reps 
As an edge rusher, Murphy’s primary jobs include forcing plays to the interior and wreaking general havoc upon offensive schemes. He placed fourth overall among edges, according to NFL Next Gen Stats at the combine, thanks to what his official NFL combine profile calls his “tank full of gas.”
“Murphy’s length and post-up strength could provide the scheme and positional versatility that puts him on every draft board,” NFL Analyst Lance Zierlein said. Next Gen Stats project him to be a starter within his first few years in the league. Murphy is currently forecasted as a first-round draft pick.

Bryan Bresee, Defensive Tackle 

Measurements: 6-foot-5.5, 298 pounds 

40-yard Dash: 4.86 seconds 

10-Yard Split: 1.71 seconds 

Vertical Jump: 29” 

Bench Press: 22 reps 

The former No. 1 recruit in the nation put on a show in Indiana. Bresee was the fourth-fastest among tackles and had an overall score of 77, ranking him third for his position. Bresee finished with a prospect grade of 6.35 which has him as an eventual starter in the league. 

“Bresee should continue to progress at his position and become a good run defender with an ability to disrupt the pocket within his first few NFL seasons,” Zierlein said. 

Bresee is expected to be selected early in the first round alongside Murphy. 

Trenton Simpson, Linebacker 

Measurements: 6-foot-2, 235 pounds 

40-yard Dash: 4.43 seconds 

10-Yard Split: 1.55 seconds 

Bench Press: 25 reps 
Simpson gained notoriety during his time at Clemson for his speed in the weak-side linebacker position, prompting a regional scout for an NFC team to say that Simpson “should run at the combine because he will run one of the fastest times we’ve seen from a linebacker.”
The former Tiger proved that scout correct and ran the second-fastest 40-yard dash time among participating linebackers.
Simpson earned an overall score of 82, placing him second overall among linebackers at the combine. He was highly praised for his play-reading ability and versatility in both the inside and outside linebacker positions. Simpson rounds out the projected first-rounders for the Tigers.

K.J. Henry, Defensive End 

Measurements: 6-foot-4, 251 pounds 

40-yard Dash: 4.63 seconds 

10-Yard Split: 1.65 seconds 

Vertical Jump: 31.5” 

Broad Jump: 9’ 4” 

Henry drew attention for his transitioning speed and quarterback-reading ability. He earned an overall score of 68, a prospect grade of 6.23 and is projected as a third- or fourth-round selection. 

Davis Allen, Tight End 

Measurements: 6-foot-6, 245 pounds 

40-yard Dash: 4.84 seconds 

10-Yard Split: 1.60 seconds 

Vertical Jump: 38.5” 

Broad Jump: 10’ 5”

Although analysts found that Allen could use some development in his blocking technique, he earned high praise as a pass-catcher. He was referred to as a “human vacuum” with ball skills that are rare for his position, garnering a prospect grade of 6.21 and projected third- or fourth-round selection. 

Jordan McFadden, Offensive Tackle 

Measurements: 6-foot-2, 303 pounds 

40-yard Dash: 4.99 seconds 

10-Yard Split: 1.74 seconds 

Vertical Jump: 28.5” 

3-Cone Drill: 7.7 seconds  

20-Yard Shuttle: 4.81 seconds  

McFadden was highly regarded for his pass protection experience and his quick use of hands for blocking. He is seen as a potential starter after a few years of physical and skill development, with a prospect grade of 6.17 and projection as an undrafted free agent.  

Joseph Ngata, Wide Receiver 

Measurements: 6-foot-3, 217 pounds 

40-yard Dash: 4.54 seconds 

10-Yard Split: 1.59 seconds 

Vertical Jump: 34.5” 

Broad Jump: 10’ 4” 

Ngata was highly lauded at the combine for his use of his frame to evade defensive backs, as well as his hand-eye coordination and ball control. His speed was below average for the position, however, earning him a 5.66 prospect grade and projection as an undrafted free agent.  

B.T. Potter, Kicker  

Measurements: 5-foot-10, 185 pounds 

Potter is well-known for his experience and multiple school records, as well as his consistency. However, analysts marked the 30- to 49-yard range as a weakness for him thanks to a lackluster record. He earned a prospect grade of 5.58 and status as a priority undrafted free agent.