Tigers advance to second round in ACC Tournament

Aralynn Minnick // Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson point guard Brie Perpignan (0) shoots over a Notre Dame defender during the Tigers’ game against the Fighting Irish in Littlejohn Coliseum on Jan. 19, 2022.

The Clemson women’s basketball team will advance to the second round of the ACC Tournament after a 71-53 win against Pittsburgh on Wednesday. 

The Tigers played stingy defense against the Panthers, allowing just four points in the second quarter to take a 33-20 lead heading into halftime. Clemson stretched the lead to 46-27 in the third quarter and did not look back. From the jump, the Tigers’ defense made it difficult for Pittsburgh to get to the basket, as it shot 30.6% from the field.

Head coach Amanda Butler and her team were aggressive on offense, making 11 of 25 attempts from beyond the arc and dishing out 22 assists. 

Senior forward Hannah Hank was Clemson’s leading scorer with a career-high 19 points and seven rebounds. Daisha Bradford and Amari Robinson followed right behind with 15 and 10 points, respectively. All the double digits scorers helped Clemson achieve its defeat against Pitt. 

Clemson hopes to extend this victory through the next round of the ACC Tournament, where the Tigers will take on the seventh-seeded North Carolina Tar Heels on Thursday at 6 p.m. EST.