Clemson to send 6 entries to nationals

Patrick Driscoll // Contributor

Seven Clemson Tigers will compete in the indoor national track and field championships on March 10 and 11. 

Coming off an impressive outing at the 2023 ACC indoor conference championships, many Clemson Tigers still have unfinished business to take care of before the end of the indoor track season.

Seven members of the Clemson track and field team have their eyes set on the 2023 indoor national track and field championships this weekend. The meet will run from March 10-11, and it will be held at the Albuquerque Convention Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Here’s a look at which Tigers will be representing Clemson on the national stage:

Marie Forbes, weight throw: Forbes has been making a name for herself the entire 2022-23 indoor campaign. Meet after meet, the sophomore has racked up points for the Clemson Tigers in the weight throw. The Hayes, Jamaica, native made history at the ACC championship, setting a school record heave of 22.41 meters in the weight throw. That mark earned her third place in the conference along with 11th best in the nation. 

Wanya McCoy, 400-meter dash: McCoy has become a household name for Clemson track during his freshman season. Whether it’s breaking school records or showing off his versatility from the 60-meter dash to the 400-meter dash, you can always expect a show out of McCoy. His lone 400-meter (45.91 seconds) of the season not only won him the ACC title but also punched him a ticket to nationals. McCoy will not only be running one 400-meter, as he is the lead leg of the Clemson 4×400 meter dash that qualified as well.

Kiara Grant, 60-meter dash: Grant burst onto the scene this past January at the Texas Tech Red Raider Invitational after running a 760-meter dash, breaking the conference record. The senior from Jamaica has continued to post strong performances consistently throughout the year as she took home the ACC crown this past month. Grant will continue to etch her name in the Clemson history books this weekend. 

Tarees Rhoden, 800-meter run: Rhoden is heating up at the right time as the indoor season is coming to an end. The Kingston, Jamaica, native successfully defended his crown in the 800-meter run at the ACC championships. His time of 1:46.61 was not only a school record but a national record as well. The mid-distance runner is seeded at a very respectable sixth place this weekend. Rhoden will also be competing in multiple events, as he will run in the 4×400 meter relay as well. 

Giano Roberts, 60-meter hurdles: Year after year, event coach Lennox Graham’s product has been a key member for the track team, as Roberts is the lone back-to-back indoor national qualifier for Clemson. He claimed victory in the 60-meter hurdles at ACCs with an impressive 7.65 time. That time is ranked sixth in the country and the fourth fastest in school history. Roberts is no stranger to the spotlight, as he has been on the national stage numerous times.

McCoy, Rhoden, Rose and Thornton, Men’s 4×400 meter relay: Ever since the quartet’s debut at the 2023 Bob Pollock Invitational held in Clemson, the 4×400 meter relay has been on a tear. Whether it’s shattering school records or defending their ACC crown this season, the core four of McCoy, Rhoden, Cameron Rose and Aman Thornton has been nothing short of dominant. At the 2023 Tiger Paw invitational, they ran an impressive 3:04.28 relay time that has them ranked 15th in the nation, and the group is planning on showing the country just how talented they are.

Clemson fans can catch the indoor nationals being streamed on ESPN throughout Friday and Saturday.