Clemson to split architecture, humanities colleges into two

Clemson Planning and Design // Courtesy

Clemson’s Humanities Hall will likely be one of the hubs of the new College of Humanities and Performing Arts.

Clemson University’s board of trustees approved splitting the College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities into two separate colleges.

The approval creates a new College of Architecture, Construction and Visual Arts and a College of Humanities and Performing Arts, with the names subject to change.

The change will enhance the quality, reputation and impact of Clemson’s programs in those fields, Provost Bob Jones said at the board of trustees meeting Thursday.

The new colleges will soft launch in July of this year, followed by a year of planning and searching for a new dean. Both colleges will operate fully independently of one another by July 2024. 

Establishing the two new colleges will cost approximately $1.5 million annually for college-level administration, in addition to other one-time fees for renovating office spaces.

Current undergraduate and graduate students will continue their degree programs as is, with no changes in the near future.

The College of Architecture, Construction and Visual Arts will include the current departments of visual arts, architecture and construction development and planning.

The College of Humanities and Performing Arts will include the current departments of English, history and geography, philosophy and religion, performing arts and languages.