Clemson to build new alumni and visitors center

Clemson News // Courtesy

A rendering of the new Alumni and Visitors center is presented.

The University broke ground on the construction of its new Alumni and Visitors Center on Feb. 1. Construction on the approximately 100,000-square-foot facility is scheduled to be completed in fall 2024.

“The Center will be home to some of the University’s most crucial partners and programs, including the Clemson Alumni Association, Class of 1944 Visitors Center, the Board of Trustees office, Advancement, Clemson University Foundation, Admissions and the Michelin Career Center, as well as a new golf pro shop and grille,” according to Clemson News.

Located adjacent to the Clyde V. Madren Conference Center and John E. Walker Sr. Golf Course, the new Clemson Alumni and Visitors Center will overlook the 18th green and the shores of Lake Hartwell, standing as Clemson University’s front door.

The Clemson Alumni Association is an open-membership, nonprofit organization that exists to connect alumni to each other and their alma mater. Through various programs and services, the Clemson Alumni Association enhances the lifelong Clemson experience by serving, involving, informing and engaging the alumni, current and future students and friends of the University. 

Additionally, the new center will provide even greater opportunities for employers to effectively connect to students, more easily identify potential candidates and greatly increase their companies’ visibility.

Over 200 staff and nearly 130 students will be housed at the building, with as many as 1,000 additional people using other parts of the building at any given time. The Visitors Center is expected to receive about 72,000 people annually. 

“This building will be what many people experience as their first impression of Clemson University. It shows the dedication and commitment that Clemson has in connecting our Tigers throughout their Clemson Experience and throughout their lifetime,” stated President Jim Clements.

The concept budget was about $1 million, funded by maintenance and stewardship funds. The entire project will cost about $45.8 million and be funded by state institutional bonds.