Clemson introduces new School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering

Clemson News // Courtesy

Deep Orange 11, the University’s Department of Automotive Engineering, is an autonomous vehicle that represents Clemson’s future goals in sustainability. 

On Jan. 23, the University announced its decision to form a new school that brings together mechanical and automotive engineering. 

The new School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering combines the previously separate schools, better positioning Clemson for innovation and education in a number of areas, including mobility, energy and advanced manufacturing, all cornerstones of the South Carolina economy.

The founding director of the new school, Zoran Filipi, has worked to make the transition to vehicles that run on near-zero carbon fuels.

Filipi is a leading expert in advanced engine concepts and alternative powertrains, including electric and hydraulic hybrids.

“The School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering will continue to position Clemson University as a national leader in academics and research as well as strengthen key industry partnerships,” President Jim Clements said. 

“The workforce of the future is rapidly changing. Opportunities for students to engage in experiential learning and interdisciplinary research, along with faculty and industry’s need for innovation, entrepreneurship, and discovery will be key to meeting the demands of South Carolina and beyond,” Clements stated. “Dr. Zoran Filipi, the school’s founding director, is an exceptional leader, and will utilize his expertise and experience in leading the school forward.”

The school, first approved by the Board of Trustees in Oct. 2021, is home to 66 faculty members and has the largest enrollment in the College of Engineering, Computing and Applied Sciences, with about 780 undergraduates and 400 graduate students.