Clemson judicial branch relaunches legal aid program

Matt Mynes // Photo Editor
Papers stock photo

The Clemson judicial branch of student government has reinstalled its legal program for students to utilize this semester. Through the program, Clemson students are provided with a free 30-minute consultation with a local attorney.

The judicial board has partnered with legal experts from surrounding areas, such as Clemson, Seneca and Greenville, that specialize in a broad range of practices in an effort to provide affordable legal aid to students, according to the judicial branch’s website. 

The legal aid program is an indispensable resource to the Clemson student body that can be utilized by everyone within the Clemson community, according to Attorney General James Swicegood.

The program provides a tremendous opportunity to engage and empower students and advance their understanding of the democratic process, according to Student Sen. Jacorie McCall.

Historically, the legal aid program assisted students with legal issues ranging from landlord conflicts to underage alcohol violations. 

Although the sponsored attorneys specialize in a wide variety of legal expertise, the program can not be used against Clemson University’s interest, in legal proceedings involving the University, or in any Office of Community and Ethical Standards proceedings. If students violate these terms, they could be denied legal assistance. 
Since the program’s relaunch this semester, about a dozen students have utilized the resource, according to Swicegood.
Swicegood believes that the re-establishment of the legal aid program will remove considerable financial obstacles that keep students from receiving legal representation through an attorney.
To schedule a legal aid session, students can reach out to the student body attorney general at [email protected].