Clemson hosts 9/11 memorial event

Blake Mauro
Participants climb more than 100 flights of stairs at Clemson University’s 2023 9/11 memorial stair climb event.

On Sept. 9, Clemson’s Memorial Stadium was humming with anticipation for the home opener. Just two days later, the stadium symbolized a memorial for 9/11, as Clemson’s Student Veterans Association held a 9/11 stair climb event titled “Honoring 9/11 with the spirit of 9/12.”

Many of the participants were students or employees of the University, but some attended the event because of their desire to pay their respects at the memorial event.

Firefighters for CUFD came out to support the event. Most of the firefighters climbed 104 sets of stairs in full gear, including breathing tanks and fire jackets weighing upwards of 65 pounds.

Clemson’s Student Veterans Association spearheaded the event but partnered with many organizations, including the Clemson University Fire Department, Upstate Warrior Solution, the Clemson Division of Student Affairs and the SAE fraternity. There was no tie that the fraternity had to the on-campus military organizations, they just wanted to be a part of the memorial. Many of the members showed up early and helped to set up sunshades and prepare coolers with ice and drinks.

South Carolina Senate President Thomas C. Alexander was in attendance, as well as retired Major General Hank Morrow and Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students Dr. Chris Miller. Respect was paid to the sacrifice of the men and women who gave so much on that fateful day.

Two Clemson alumni, Kathy Hunter (Class of 1980) and Lucia Humphrey (Class of 1985), are two locals who found the event something they just couldn’t pass up. In a joint interview, they stated that they remember the day that it happened and that they want to honor the memory of the day. They expressed overwhelming gratitude for the first responders that worked so hard to keep people safe then and that still work so hard to preserve the American way of life.

Clemson SVA is already planning the event for next year and is hoping to see an even stronger turnout than the estimated 150-plus attendees. Both Hunter and Humphrey are planning to attend next year.