Clemson BOT highlights 2023 admissions statistics

Clemson News // Courtesy
Clemson has 22,877 undergraduate students for the 2023-24 academic year, according to statistics brought up at a board of trustees meeting.

Earlier this month, on Oct. 5 and 6, the Clemson board of trustees met for their quarterly meetings, where they discussed Clemson’s admissions statistics for the class of 2027.

The board emphasized the importance of a 2% enrollment growth each year, which they strive never to be over or under. The total undergraduate enrollment increased from 22,566 students in the 2022-23 year to 22,877 undergraduate students in the 2023-24 year, although the University has not audited these numbers.

The board noted that this 1.4% increase is lower than the expected 2% target increase, and the freshman class of 2027 had a record number of applicants this year, with a total of 60,195 first-year applicants.

“There is no absence of knowledge of the strength, value or prestige of the university,” David Kuskowski, associate vice president for enrollment management, said.

The University also highlighted the steady and strong growth of in-state students and the expected growth of out-of-state students as Clemson’s reputation grows, along with adding the option of the Common Application for prospective students.

Clemson experienced a 65% growth in the applicant pool after joining the Common App, compared to the average 20-40% applicant pool growth of four-year public universities. The University emphasized the importance of in-state enrollment and fulfilling the land grant admissions requirements, with 91% of in-state applicants being offered admission for 2023 and an average of 90% of in-state applicants being offered admission into Clemson within recent years.

These statistics include students offered admission for Summer Start, Bridge to Clemson and general fall admission. The University also noted its undergraduate retention rate, with 92.9% of students who began their freshman year at Clemson being present for the start of their sophomore year.

The graduation rate of Clemson continues these impressive statistics with an 87% six-year graduation rate in comparison to a 63% national average, according to Kuskowski. The diversity enrollment of the University was also addressed with an almost 7% growth in diversity throughout the campus.

The legacy enrollment of Clemson comes out to 14% of the freshman class being first-generation students, almost 70% of those first-generation students being South Carolina residents, making up a diverse student body.