Wiggins declares for NFL draft

Katie Bradham
Cornerback Nate Wiggins is officially leaving Clemson after three years to declare for the NFL Draft. Pictured in the 2022 ACC Championship as he returned the ball for a 98-yard pick six, the longest in ACC Championship history.

Cornerback Nate Wiggins is officially leaving Clemson early to declare for the 2024 NFL draft, he told ESPN on Wednesday.

Wiggins will also not be playing in Clemson’s bowl game, sitting out alongside linebacker Jeremiah Trotter Jr., who was the first from the team to declare this year.

“I just feel like it was that time,” Wiggins said. “All the hard work I’ve put in, I feel like it was time for me to declare.”

Wiggins’ presence downfield will be sorely missed, as he is the face behind some of the biggest defensive plays in the past few years. His game-winning pass breakup against Wake Forest in overtime his sophomore season, his 98-yard pick six in the ACC Championship and his recent sprint to punch the ball out of the arms of North Carolina running back Omarion Hampton inches before the end zone are just a few instances which come to mind.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Nate Wiggins (@1of1wiggs)

“I feel like I’m the fastest, and I feel like I’m the most complete corner in the draft,” the Atlanta native said.

Wiggins will finish his Clemson career with 60 total tackles, 49 of which were solo, 19 passes defended, one sack, three interceptions, two forced fumbles and two touchdowns.

“I’m thankful for Clemson. They developed me into a wonderful man. Dabo and the whole coaching staff are so loving and pour out energy every day. They love everyone who goes through Clemson. They played a big part in my development,” he added.