Clemson man arrested in big drug bust

Several+types+of+drugs%2C+including+suspected+marijuana%2C+fentanyl%2C+LSD+and+mushrooms%2C+were+found+at+the+scene.+
City of Clemson Police Department // Provided
Several types of drugs, including suspected marijuana, fentanyl, LSD and mushrooms, were found at the scene.

An anonymous tip led to the arrest of a Clemson man on multiple drug charges late last month after the City of Clemson Police Department seized pounds of illegal substances.

On Nov. 29, city police received an anonymous tip of a suspected narcotic sale. The tip took detectives to Freedom Drive, near the Clemson Publix shopping center, where they observed “activity commonly associated with narcotics distribution,” according to a press release obtained by The Tiger.

By 5:30 p.m., police obtained and executed a search warrant, revealing a large sum of illegal substances.

The paraphernalia located and seized as a result of the search included 14 pounds of suspected marijuana, 80 vape pens containing THC, 5.1 pounds of THC edibles, 8 pounds of THC wax, 1.5 pounds of mushrooms, 23 grams of suspected fentanyl anabolic Steroids, 48.5 grams of suspected LSD/Acid, a Firearm and a large sum of cash, according to the press release.

The search also resulted in the arrest of 24-year-old Carson McDowell, a Clemson alumnus.

According to his LinkedIn account, McDowell graduated from Clemson University in 2022 with a bachelor’s in business administration and general finance. After graduation, he became a financial advisor at Modern Woodmen of America and was “provid(ing) financial literacy, how to protect, budget, and save for (his) clients individualized financial goals” as an insurance provider up until the time of his arrest, according to his profile.

Carson McDowell

As of Nov. 30, the first set of warrants have been served and include trafficking in Marijuana, 10 pounds or more but less than 100, first offense; trafficking in LSD, 100 dosage units or more but less than 500, first offense; possession with intent to distribute schedule 2 narcotic, first offense, possession with intent to distribute psilocybin mushrooms, first offense, trafficking in Fentanyl 14 grams or more but less than 28 grams and possession of a weapon during the commission of a crime.

The investigation is still ongoing and expected to result in more charges. Detectives are asking anyone with knowledge or who may have witnessed this incident to contact them at 864-624-2001.