Best Mural: Greetings from Clemson

Clemson University // X
The “Greetings from Clemson” mural painted on the brick wall of the Tiger Sports Shop.

It’s on stickers, it’s on many Instagram feeds and it’s plastered on the side of the Tiger Sports Shop. The “Greetings from Clemson” mural is an iconic piece of art that has become a staple of Clemson’s downtown.

Layered within each letter of “Clemson” lie many symbols of Clemson University, such as the top of Tillman Hall peeking out from Bowman’s large oaks, the military heritage statue, Harvey Gantt and rowers on Lake Hartwell. The mural speaks to Clemson’s complex history and beautiful landscape.

The incredible artwork is a result of the Tiger Wall Art Association, a registered student organization started in 2018. Its mission and purpose were to celebrate the arts and community through public visual art.

“I saw a need for art in downtown Clemson and knew there were so many talented students who deserved the chance to showcase their art in the community,” the association’s former president, Arianna Conti, told The Tiger.

Katherine Atkinson, Brianna Baldwin, Elle Johnson, Ana Licon Lopez, Giovanni Meli and Bridget Sheridan were the talented student artists selected to contribute to the painting. Each artist and their work is highlighted on the association’s Instagram account, @tigerwallaa. The mural was completed in May 2019.

The mural has been around for almost five years, and the students behind it have left a strong legacy for themselves, even after becoming alumni.

“It was an awesome experience to work with peers, local government and business owners to create something beautiful,” Conti said.

What an elaborate collaboration that started with just one student’s spark. The creation is not only a sight to see but also a great representation of Clemson as a whole.

Address:
364 College Ave.,
Clemson, SC 29631
(On the side of the Tiger Sports Shop – downtown location)