New watersports facility proposed to be built near Snow Fitness Complex

Clemson News // Courtesy

The Andy Quattlebaum Outdoor Education Center is located on Old Greenville Hwy.

At the board of trustees meeting, the head of campus recreation announced plans for expansion at the Snow Family Outdoor Fitness and Wellness Complex.
Following the completion of the new intramural fields, the next focus is improving the waterfront beach area. Current plans call for a large pavilion and other amenities. The space would be designed to handle moderately sized events, picnics, everyday swimming and outdoor activities.
Other plans for the area include teaching docks, recreational trails and small group gathering areas, designed for use by various groups, including leisure skills classes, small organization meetings and group therapy.
Clemson also plans to build a new storage and dock area by the old National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying building for club sailing, club crew and club watersports to provide them space separate from the Snow Fitness Complex.
The new facility will have a separate entrance from Seneca Creek Road and will provide sailing, rowing and skiing with storage sheds and parking areas.
The plan is to move the clubs’ existing docks to the shoreline between the Snow Fitness Complex and the newly upgraded Seneca Landing boat ramp.
“I am super happy the University is looking to further support it’s Club Sports especially its water sports organizations which are close to my heart,” Walker Mullen, president of the Club Sports Association, said. “The sense of urgency and concern for the well being of students has been greatly felt and appreciated.”
Clemson Facilities is working with the Army Corps of Engineers to finalize the plan’s specifics and hopes to have the new facility approved and constructed by the end of the summer.