Cobb’s Coffee Corner: Nero nails classic coffee

Griffin Cobb // Senior Reporter

A Glasgow location of Caffé Nero, an Italian-influenced coffee house chain.

With the new semester in full swing, Cobb’s Coffee Corner returns once again to take a taste of the best coffee available and report it back to the students of Clemson University.

Last semester, I covered most of the cafes in Clemson. Now, we’re reaching a bit farther. Much farther, actually — all the way across the Atlantic Ocean to the lovely city of Glasgow, Scotland, where I’m spending this semester abroad.

Yes, Cobb’s Coffee Corner is abroad, and I’m excited to share with you the readers all Scotland has to offer in the way of glorious coffee.

First up in our abroad adventure is a popular cafe chain in the U.K., Caffè Nero. It’s an Italian-influenced coffee house that has been serving custom lattes and delicious pastries since 1997.

I’ve been to several of their locations, and while all are different in some way, the vibes remain consistently classy. The Italian influence stretches beyond just their coffee roasts. The decor inspires a sense of sophistication in customers as they find a plethora of seating options, either for studying or meeting with friends. Everything is clean and elegant, and the service never lacks across all their locations. The vibes are absolutely a 5 out of 5.

Like most coffee houses, Caffè Nero boasts a healthy option of pastries, sandwiches and soups for the more peckish customer. The variety alone is impressive, but they also hold plenty of vegan options for those that want. That said, they seem to have focused slightly on quantity over quality. The food is good, but it’s nothing mind-blowing and can be a bit pricey. If I had to recommend a single pastry, the vegan raspberry croissant has become my go-to. For food, I give them a 3 out of 5.

As you’d imagine, the coffee is Caffè Nero’s strong suit. Their standard menu holds the classics from sole espresso to cortados to the slightly sweeter caffè mochas. Like most European things in comparison to American, the variety and quantity are slightly smaller, but the quality is unquestionably higher. The espresso is rich and smooth, and their house blends leave nothing to be desired. You can’t pick wrong when ordering a drink here. A 5 out of 5 is exactly what their coffee deserves. 

If you ever find yourself in the U.K. in need of some caffeine, Caffè Nero is a great choice.