Letter to the editor: the definition of equality and justice

Justice and Equality are two separate entities. Justice is defined as just behavior or fair treatment; Equality is defined as the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities. Equality may have been granted with integration, however, due to current incidents that take place, I question and doubt that justice has as well. Equality grants me the right to apply and attend a predominantly white institution; however, justice allows me to be and feel comfortable and provides me the conducive environment essential to growth and success. 

Because I am competent and qualified, I have every right to attend an institution that provides the environment conducive to my growth (equality), but it is left to the institution to provide an environment that is inclusive, safe and diverse (justice). 

Whether I attend a university where my represented population is 99 percent or six percent, being a human being grants me the right to thrive in a just and safe environment.

I support change and I challenge the raising of the standard of inclusivity and justice. #sikessitin