PRESS RELEASE: Capital improvement now open

CUSG+is+accepting+Capital+Improvement+proposals+until+Dec.+8.+
Clemson // Courtesy
CUSG is accepting Capital Improvement proposals until Dec. 8.

Each year, one purview of the Clemson Undergraduate Student Senate is to facilitate the allocation of Student Activity Fee funds to student-led capital initiatives that create tangible change on campus that improve the value of the Clemson experience. This process is called Capital Improvement, and this year’s application is now open.

While you might not have heard of Capital Improvement before, I am sure that you have seen its effects on campus.

For example, the two tiger statues that guard the entrance to Memorial Stadium or the anatomy kits that are available to rent from Cooper Library for studying are both Capital Improvement projects. Another great example is the memorial cannons on Bowman Field, nicknamed “Tom” and “Jerry.”

If you have ever taken a picture in front of the Clemson University sign on Bowman Field, you were able to because of a previous student’s idea to improve our campus.

This year, the Senate has the ability to allocate up to $77,854 to these projects. Capital Improvement applications for funding will be accepted through Dec. 8.

All applications will be fully vetted and approved through the established University process prior to funding. During the Student Senate’s regularly scheduled meeting on the third Monday of February 2024, the Senate will allocate funding to approved proposals. The body may choose to fund multiple smaller projects or fewer larger projects. This term’s senators are excited to hear about and fund the passion projects of Clemson students, both undergraduate and graduate, faculty and staff!

All in all, Capital Improvement is a wonderful way for students and faculty to invoke positive, tangible change on our campus and leave their mark on the Clemson Family as a whole.

If you are interested in applying, please complete the Capital Improvement Application form. The application is open now and will close on Dec. 8 at 11:59 p.m. If you have any questions, please reach out to the CUSG Senate Secretary, Olivia Frazier, at [email protected].