Best Club Sport: Clemson Sailing Club

Corey Glenn
The Clemson sailing club offers incomparable views of Lake Hartwell, in addition to a strong community.

Are you interested in joining an exciting organization with hundreds of members to expand your Clemson circle? Do you enjoy spending time out on the lake? If either of those sounds like you, the Clemson Sailing Club may be a perfect fit.

Founded in 1969, the Clemson Sailing Club has long been an organization where students can socialize with one another on Lake Hartwell. Since then, the organization has grown to more than 400 students, making the club one of the largest on campus.

So, what is it that makes the club so appealing? Commodore Connor Witt says it’s the community the club has created.

“I think, first and foremost, it’s just the community that we’ve built,” he said. “There’s really a community aspect to our club. Even though it is so big, you’re able to find a group.”

While some students may enjoy spending time on the water, they may be unsure about joining the club if they have no prior experience sailing. Witt says that should not be a worry, as the club is home to students of all skill levels and experience.

“It’s really for everybody,” he explained. “You can come in with no experience and we have a very step-by-step program to break it down and make it easy and make sure that you’re comfortable going out.”

Beyond sailing, the club has a tradition called “Fridays at four.” The tradition takes place on Fridays during the warmer months, as club members meet on the docks to grill food and relax at the end of the week. The tradition, Witt said, truly encapsulates the community aspect of the club.

Students interested in joining the Clemson Sailing Club can visit its page on TigerQuest or check out its booth at Tiger Prowl in the fall.

Address:
275 YMCA Circle,
Seneca, SC 29678

Instagram: @Clemsonsailing