We all scream for caffeine

coffee+corner
Katie Bradham // Senior Photographer
coffee corner

Spill the Beans, a classic downtown respite for ice cream lovers, holds their own among the coffee shops in Clemson.

For as large as Spill the Beans is, it manages to keep cozy, secure vibes throughout. A vibrant array of colors and textures spills across the multiple sitting areas on either side of the counters. The seating varies between tables with simple games to play with friends to plush couches and chairs perfect for relaxing or studying. The space is fairly dense, which, when busy, makes it a bit hard to study. But oftentimes the crowd is light enough you’ll be able to find a secluded spot.

Overall, the vibes fit a lovely niche extremely well, earning Spill the Beans a four out of five.

As for the food, it’s a bit more subjective. Obviously, Spill the Beans’ main delicacy is ice cream, though they do have some baked good options. We were able to try the chocolate and banana nut muffins, which, for not being the shop’s strong suit, were incredibly good. They offer a few more pastries, but ice cream reigns supreme, and for good reason. With options galore, there’s a flavor, cone and topping for everyone.

Although it’s not the same food category as our other reviews, Spill the Beans’ strength in its specialties deserves a five out of five.

Of course, the coffee is the true metric of these reviews. Ice cream and espresso is an obvious match made in heaven. The options available are surprisingly large for a predominantly ice cream oriented shop, with different espresso and regularly brewed options. More often than not, the options are for the sweet-toothed. The flavorings take the focus from the espresso, though many may find that attractive. If I had to recommend a specific order, I would highly suggest getting the mocha with added hazelnut syrup. Especially with the holiday season around the corner, it’s a superb treat.

For the sugar lovers at heart, and the less particular coffee enjoyer, Spill the Beans is nothing more or less than a good option, earning it a three out of five.