A look at track and field’s new athletes

Chau Cédric, Unsplash

Clemson track and field will host the Clemson Invite on Jan. 14 and 15.

Since national signing day on Nov. 10, Clemson track and field has announced eight prospective athletes and four transfers will join its program.  

The transfer students are all set to begin in the following school year, with the exception of Kiara Grant, who is a midterm signee.  

Grant is the only midterm signee and will run short sprints this spring. At Norfolk State University, she was declared a 2019 All-American for the 60m and 100m. She is also a two-time Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference champion for her performance in the 60m in both 2019 and 2020.  

Meanwhile the other 11 athletes are set to bring much to the table when they arrive.  

Jack Vecellio, a Massachusetts native, will join Clemson this fall for pole vaulting.  

“The pole vault is an area of our team that we are trying to build, and Jack is the person to start that process,” Program Director Mark Elliot said in a press release.   

Another impactful field signee is Ryan-Matthew John, who will compete in all three jumping events: long, high and triple jump. John is ranked first in New York for his triple jump as of Jan. 4, 2021.   

John, Vecellio and Grant all signed with Clemson weeks after the program released its initial signee list on Nov. 17.  

National signing day welcomed sprinters Alocius Kipngetich for the men’s 400m hurdles, Lashanna Graham for the women’s 400m sprint and 400m hurdles and D’Andre Anderson for the men’s 400m sprint.  

As for middle distance, Jessica McLean will be running the women’s 800m and 1500m, with Kayan Green also in the women’s 800m.  

Both Graham and Green are coming from Barton County Community College.  

Long-distance runners include Madelyn Dinneen, Nicole Pizzo and Madison Roush. All three women will be joining Clemson’s cross country team in the fall.  

Alex Teufel is the last of the 12 signees. He signed in November as well, and gives the Tigers another pole vaulter alongside Vecellio. 

“Overall, this is one of our best signing classes,” Elliot said. “All athletes should have an immediate impact on all of our teams.”  

The current men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams will have their first 2022 conference meet on Jan. 21 at Virginia Tech, following their Clemson Invitational Meet on Jan. 14. Updates on the team and performances can be found on ClemsonTigers.com and @ClemsonTrackXC on Instagram and Twitter.