Clemson Facilities files renovation plans for Memorial Stadium Hill

Katie Bradham // Video Editor
Clemson football began running down the Hill in 1942. Since then the Hill itself and the surrounding areas have evolved into one of the most recognizable stadium areas in the country.

Substantial changes may be coming to the east end zone Hill in Clemson’s Memorial Stadium after University Facilities publicly filed a capital project last week.

Although the project is in its infancy, the objective would be to create amphitheater-style standing areas for a better viewing experience while balancing safety and the traditional look of the Hill, The Tiger has learned through conversations with Clemson Athletics.

The initial drawings filed on March 28 detail an overall decrease in the slope of the Hill, except where the players and coaches run down in the center.

Alongside the center of the Hill, the drawings show concrete foundations that could be used to retain the sloped grass and add handrails in the future. They also show two 10-foot wide steps at 10-foot descending intervals.

If handrails are added, they will be 3 feet tall, based on the initial drawings.

In this diagram colorized by The Tiger, the green is grass, gray is proposed concrete, white is proposed stairs and orange is the middle of the hill where the carpet is laid down at the beginning of games. The black lines across the hill are proposed handrails.
In this diagram colorized by The Tiger, the green is grass, gray is proposed concrete, white is proposed stairs and orange is the middle of the hill where the carpet is laid down at the beginning of games. The black lines across the hill are proposed handrails. (Sydney Westphal // Managing Editor)

Athletics’ intent behind the project is to keep the Hill sloped and not reduce capacity.

The middle of the Hill, where Clemson football players and coaches run down before games, would receive new sod but otherwise will remain untouched. The tradition of players and coaches running down the Hill will also not be affected if the renovations occur, according to initial drawings and an Athletics employee familiar with the matter.

Companies have three weeks to bid on the project before the University chooses whether to continue the project and, if so, who will do the construction.

If the project is completed, there is also the option to add handrails in certain areas of the Hill. In addition to the proposed changes to the Hill itself, the plans also include a proposed 6-foot tall ornamental fence on the sides of the Hill, further separating it from the surrounding sections of the stadium.

If fans wish to stand in the more-sloped area in the middle of the Hill after the players and coaches take the field, they will still be able to do so based on the initial design.

Safety is one of, if not the most important, motivations behind the initial plans, according to an Athletics employee familiar with the matter. The Tiger contacted Clemson University Fire Department for information about safety considerations for the Hill, but they did not respond by press time Tuesday.

Clemson Athletics hopes that if the renovations go through, the Hill will better distribute students and keep them from pinning against one another in certain areas.

Widely considered one of the country’s most unique college football traditions, Clemson’s entrance into Memorial Stadium is already rich in history. If this project is completed, yet another layer will be added to a complex story dating back to 1942, when the tradition of running down the Hill began.