Cobb’s Coffee Corner: Quit counting sheep, try Black Sheep Coffee

Black Sheep Coffee // Courtesy
The exterior of Black Sheep from the street.

In this issue, we’re looking at another staple coffee chain of the U.K.: Black Sheep Coffee. Proclaiming themselves as “innovators in the coffee industry” on their website, the shop promised high-quality brews and a few baked goods in their cafes, alongside a range of all-day breakfast options. As their name implies, they hope to stray from the caffeinated herd, as it were, and make something unique yet still fulfilling for their customers.
As for vibes, I found the general theme of the cafe to be extremely refreshing in its almost eco-industrial atmosphere. Ordering was fast and easy thanks to their many self-order tablets. What impressed me the most was the productive mental space just sitting in the cafe brought. With large windowed walls, uncramped seating and green accents throughout, the openness of the seating area helped me collect my thoughts. I’m also awarding bonus points for the built-in wireless charging they had at their bar counters. Black Sheep’s vibes are an easy 5 out of 5.
Their food is the standard fare for any cafe; some pretty decent pastries, some sadly coming wrapped in plastic, a couple of breakfast sandwiches, a parfait bowl and a variety of smaller snacks. A couple of small pizzas were thrown in there, but I didn’t feel too inclined to investigate them. Their staple, however, is their many variations of Norwegian waffles. This unique special was enough on its own to stand out. While nothing mind-blowing, they’re a nice surprise for a chain coffee shop and a welcome treat to add on to your coffee order. While strawberries and cream is a personal favorite combo of mine, I would have to recommend the Norwegian Classic, made with cheese and berry jam. Food gets a 4 out of 5.
Now, does Black Sheep do as they claim and “innovate” in the coffee world? Well, no, not really, especially for the everyday consumer. As their brews were enjoyable and their lattes smooth, it’s a fine place to grab a drink, but if I’m running late and need to grab some joe, nothing about the coffee itself is going to sway me from either picking Black Sheep or the Caffe Nero on the opposite street. What will sway me is how I can get a mocha at Caffe Nero for £2.93 thanks to a student discount, rather than Black Sheep, where I’d have to shell out £4.19. For us Americans, that’s about a $2 difference. The coffee is inoffensive, but I can’t say the same about the price. For that, their coffee gets a 2 out of 5. 
Cobb’s Coffee Corner is the subjective opinion of Senior Reporter Griffin Cobb. Rankings are based on three criteria: vibes, food and coffee. Griffin is currently studying abroad in Scotland, where he continues to review cafes.