McDonald and Stewart win CUSG presidential election

KIM MONTOURO // Photo Editor

Killian McDonald (bottom row, third from left), Jaren Stewart (bottom row, fourth from left) and members of their campaign team.

After more than a month of campaigning, the results are in for the CUSG Presidential and Vice Presidential elections.
Killian McDonald and Jaren Stewart won with 56.38 percent of the votes (2778), according to an email from CUSG Director of Elections Emma Schafer. A total of 4,961 votes were cast during the election.
“I had to keep myself standing up, I was actually holding on to Killian when we heard, so we’re just excited, I’d say really, really excited,” Stewart said when asked about his initial reaction to hearing his and McDonald’s names announced.
McDonald and Stewart are already making plans for what they want to do once they take office.
“I think one of the first things we want to do is start looking at diversity and inclusivity: what steps we can start to make to make this a more inclusive campus, to make it a more diverse campus … How can we make everybody feel like they belong in the Clemson Family? … What steps we can start thinking about taking right now?” McDonald said.
Both elects agreed that they couldn’t have done it without their supporters.
“I … just want to say thank you, I want this to be as much everybody’s campaign as it is our campaign, because this really was a campaign for students, and I’m just so overwhelmed that so many people saw themselves in our campaign,” McDonald said. “So many people I didn’t know volunteered to join, so I just want to say thank you and I hope we make you proud.”
CUSG Senate election results are in as well.
For the College of Engineering, Computing and Applied Sciences, the newly elected senators are Jacob Livingston (384 votes) and Andrew Osteen (306).
For the College of Behavioral, Social and Health Science, Rachel Reid (380) and Perrin Hines (259).
For the College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities, Thomas Marshall (321) and Bernadette Sommer (271).
For the College of Science, Catherine Petty (229) and Jessica Ruday (226).
For the College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences, Jacob Crotts (133).
For the College of Business, Samuel Thompson (242) and Rachel Reinker (241).
No senators were elected to represent the College of Education.
For the sophomore class, Shreya Shankar (254) and Emily Anna Godbold (235).
For the junior class, Willie Webb (268) and Jacovia Cherry (265).
For the senior class, Josh Hutchinson (257) and Monica Rozman (219).
Senators at Large are Katie Violette (227), Madeline Lynn (217), Stephen Moore (210), Madison Bolick (207), Zachary Pate (207), Patrick Gorospe (203), AJ Miller (197), Ashley Girvin (196), Jade Richard (196), Sloane Perkins (194), Banner Brock (187), Parker Tilley (187), Beau Schelble (187), Miller Hoffman (177), Michael Summers (175), Aliyah Simmons (174), Carly Sincavitch (171), Phillip Lyew-Daniels (163), Tremain Priouleau II (159), Olivia DuBro (159), Lisa Uy (156), Katelyn Sutherland (155), Isabella Kazmier (148), Jay Sridharan (148), Emily Anders (143), Bryson Daniels (140), Matt Phillips (139), Mar Paricio Sunyer (128), Peter Sterckx (127), Anna Albert (126), Abraham Moskowitz (122), Mando Smoak (119), Jordan Seymour (116), Daniel Finley (116), Joseph August Kibler (106), Christian Jones (104), Madison Gregoris (103) and Corey McCormack (99).
As for Graduate Student Government (GSG) elections, Courtney Allen, a PhD student in Educational Leadership, is the President-Elect. She received 59.33 percent (286) of the votes. Steven O’Shields came in second with 40.66 percent (196) of the votes.
Aury Kangelos, a PhD student in Policy Studies, is the Vice President-Elect. He received 54.14 percent (261) of the votes. Doug Chickarello came in second with 45.85 percent (221) of the votes.
482 graduate students voted overall, GSG said.