Summer Shaw and Tyler McDougald suspend CUSG campaign

Image courtesy of Summer & Tyler: Clemson Dream

After announcing their candidacy for Student Body President and Vice President in January, Summer Shaw and Tyler McDougald have officially suspended their campaign.

The pair released an official statement on Friday, Feb. 5 announcing the withdrawal and suspension of their campaign. Shaw and McDougald opened the letter with remarks to their initial intent and dream for running that was grounded in their love for Clemson and passion to help the needs in CUSG.

McDougald expressed concerns during the campaign over his mental health and passion for running. Because of this, personal challenges made campaigning a second thought. He explained, “We must take care of ourselves before we may help others.”

The letter ended in an encouragement to future student leaders saying, “Others might underestimate, question, or doubt you. They’re wrong; your uniqueness makes you stronger and wiser. You deserve success without reservation. Once that success bears its fruit, your impact on the community shall not be denied.”

Centered around the phrase “Clemson Dream,” the pair’s campaign embodied five philosophies and a platform to improve CUSG, Tiger Experience and Life as a Tiger. A large part of their campaign was aimed at improving inclusion and overall student experience.

The field for Student Body President and Vice President has now narrowed to William and Liza as officially sanctioned candidates and Geoff Gilson as a write-in.