Tigers Take on Terriers: Clemson ends homestand against Wofford on Tuesday

Rachel Rosstedt, staff

Sophomore infielder Adam Renwick (11) has a .190 batting average this season.

Doug Kingsmore is set to host its first midweek tilt Tuesday, as the Terriers of Wofford College make the short trek down I-85 to play and to begin a big week for the Clemson baseball team. 

Another series win has the Tigers confident, with the lineup contining to show its offensive chops against James Madison, reaching 5-1. As the month of February draws to a close, players and fans alike are beginning to think about the upcoming trials of March: road games, the start of ACC play and, of course, the Reedy River Rivalry series against the Gamecocks this weekend.

Wofford’s no easy tune-up opponent, though. Todd Interdonato’s squad is off to a fast 5-0 start, including a season-opening upset against No. 24 Kentucky. As with Clemson, the Terriers’ bats have done the bulk of the work in carrying the team thus far in the season.

Six different starters in the Wofford lineup are batting above .300, lead by outfielder McClain Bradley, who has started the season with an outrageous .524 clip. As blistering as they have been behind the plate, they are as much a threat on the base paths, having swiped 18 bags in 20 tries thus far this season. This looks to be another early test for Clemson’s young pitching core, who will likely put a first-time starter on the mound to begin the game.

Fortunately for the Tigers, Wofford’s hurlers haven’t been sterling thus far in the season. Opponents have lit the scoreboard against the Terriers’ pitching to the tune of a 4.33 ERA.

The Clemson lineup has pounced on shaky pitching as of late, and it will be their job again to carry the charge if the Tigers are to come away with another victory. That said, Clemson can’t afford to fall behind in the late innings of the game, as Wofford closer Will Stillman has converted four saves without surrendering a single run. The Tigers will need to strike hard and early.

At the end of the day, Coach Lee cannot let his squad forget this game with bigger matchups coming soon. This is very much a winnable game for the Tigers, but only if they cash in the opportunities they get on offense and avoid gifting the Terriers with fielding and pitching mistakes. If they can do both of these things, we should see results similar to last year’s matchup between the two teams in Doug Kingsmore, in which the Tigers proved triumphant 11 runs to five. 

Either way, expect the stadium scoreboard operator to be very busy

Tuesday night.