Best Female Athlete: Rebecca Wells

Redshirt senior Rebecca Wells has made her mark on the inaugural Clemson gymnastics team, earning career and team highs of 9.950 on floor and beam; pictured after dismounting from bars in the team’s first meet against William & Mary.

One of the most exciting additions to Clemson University this year has been the inaugural season of Clemson gymnastics. And while the team consists of many talented gymnasts, Rebecca Wells has proven herself to be worthy of winning the title of best female athlete.

Hailing from Smyrna, Tennessee, Wells, a redshirt senior, is an exceptionally skilled gymnast, showcasing her talents across all four events: vault, bars, beam and floor.

Before joining Clemson’s team, Wells made her mark at Utah State, where she contributed to the program’s first conference title since 2005 and the first MRGC title in school history. Her time at Utah State was made legendary by setting numerous scoring records, including the best all-around score at an NCAA regional championship meet and the best beam score in school history at a regional meet.

Upon competing with the Clemson gymnastics team, Wells wasted no time in continuing her legacy. From the moment she stepped onto the mats, her presence was felt, leaving an undeniable impression on teammates and rivals alike. With each routine, she showcases a level of skill and precision that proves her dedication to the sport, earning her the admiration and respect of coaches, teammates and fans everywhere.

This season alone, Wells has achieved two career-high scores of 9.950 on both floor and beam, contributing significantly to numerous team records. Her performances have earned her the No. 1 ranking in the ACC on beam and the No. 2 ranking in the ACC for All-Around.

Wells’ performances have not gone unawarded, as she has been named an ACC Co-Specialist of the Week and nominated for the prestigious 2024 American Athletic, Inc. award, recognizing the most outstanding senior female gymnast in the country.

Beyond her athletic achievements, Wells majors in communication and actively participates in Clemson’s Student-Athlete Advisory Council and Tiger Leadership Academy, two organizations designed for student-athletes to build their leadership ability and increase their influence on their teams.

With her talent, dedication and leadership qualities, Rebecca Wells exemplifies everything a student-athlete should be, leaving an enduring legacy at Clemson University and making her a true role model on and off the mats.

Instagram: @rebecca.a.wells