Thoughts from a bookworm: Upcoming spring book releases

Emma Bulman
Clemson Tiger browsing spring’s hottest new reads.

The 2024 spring season will see many new titles hit the bookshelves. Readers can expect new releases from legendary authors and highly anticipated new stories. A new historical fantasy, a refreshing rom-com and another work by genius Stephen King will be the stars of the publishing industry’s spring season. 

April 9: “The Familiar” by Leigh Bardugo

Named a most anticipated book by The Washington Post and NPR, “Six of Crows” author Leigh Bardugo returns with a new stand-alone novel. Bardugo’s new historical fantasy, “The Familiar,” takes place in late 16th century Madrid. When Luzia, a servant, is discovered harboring magical gifts, Luzia’s mistress demands that she use her magic to improve the family’s social standing. In “The Familiar,” the lines between magic, science and fraud are blurred with the complications of the Spanish Inquisition, holy men and alchemists. 

May 14: “The Paradise Problem” by Christina Lauren

Christina Lauren, the combined pen-name romcom co-authors, returns to the shelves this May with their new novel, “The Paradise Problem.” Liam, an uptight grocery store chain heir, and his starving artist ex fake a relationship to receive a significant inheritance. Liam may have $100 million dollars on the line, but his pure-hearted ex will make him waver. Which is worth more, true love or a multimillion-dollar trust fund? Author Julie Soto describes “The Paradise Problem” as if “‘Succession’ was a rom-com: fake dating, steamy romance, and a family you’ll want to throw into the ocean. ‘The Paradise Problem’ is sure to be a new fan favorite.” 

May 21: “You Like It Darker” by Stephen King

Horror legend Stephen King is mainly known for publishing novels, but his upcoming collection “You Like It Darker” will give readers a chance to explore his mastery of the short story form. The anthology will include 12 short stories that Goodreads says will “be even darker than usual for Maine’s resident gentleman maniac.” King’s new short story collection will also feature a sequel to his 1981 novel “Cujo.”