Editorial: Keep your filthy hands off my hill

Katie Bradham // Video Editor

Clemson football began running down The Hill in 1942. Since then, The Hill itself and the surrounding areas have evolved into one of the most recognizable stadium areas in the country. 

With recently proposed alterations to one of Death Valley’s most iconic features, the Hill, an 81-year-old tradition is at stake.

The proposal includes decreasing the slope of the Hill, adding amphitheater-style standing areas and creating the option to add handrails in certain areas of the Hill.

Although the tentative plan is in its beginning stages, it has the potential to have major implications to the Hill experience.

The Hill has already seen significant changes in recent years. The capacity limit has been visibly decreased, and separate wristbands from a student’s ticket are now required to gain access to the Hill.
Athletics says the currently proposed renovations will have a minuscule effect on the student experience, but one change could lead to another until the Hill becomes unrecognizable from its current state. The addition of concrete steps and possible 3-foot-tall handrails is not the Hill that Clemson has come to know and love.

Standing on the Hill on a Saturday afternoon, shoulder to shoulder with your peers, decked out in Clemson orange, chanting the Tiger Rag, dancing to the sound of the Tiger Band and cheering on the Tigers on their home field is one of the most memorable moments of the Clemson experience that every student deserves to be a part of. 

The Hill has not been a safety issue for 81 years. Why is it one now? From changes to capacity on the Hill to making Sean Kingston concert attendees move away from the stage before the show would begin, it seems there is a strict risk aversion from this current administration.

There are safety benefits that could arise from the alterations. Students would be more spread out and not pressed against the front barriers of the Hill. Additionally, the renovation would decrease the slope of the Hill, lightening the leg workout for student spectators.

Still, how much slack can we give Athletics until they take the whole rope?

The Hill has served as an unmatched Clemson tradition and experience as is for more than 80 years and should remain untouched for 80 more. Leave the Hill as she stands.
This editorial is the collective opinion of The Tiger’s Desk Editors. All editors vote on the topic and stance, then assign a writer to pen the editorial. We discuss issues relevant to the Clemson student body and broader topics related to the University.